[squid-users] Caching linux distro VS Mirroring them...

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 04:12:56 +0300

I have seen couple questions about trying to force of linux
distributions mirrors into squid cache.
This is nice but it missed the whole point of squid..

let say I do have a log of the proxy traffic domains and I see a server
or a domain that takes a nice amount of traffic like debian deb files etc..
for a sysadmin to turn on a small VM with 10-20GB HD size can take about
couple minutes or a little more.
configuring it as a mirror also can take minutes...
posting it as a mirror can take more then a day but then you got it right.
instead of just force your clients a cache and harm the CIA of data just
turn on a MIRROR if needed.

it adds a small maintenance TASK but compared to caching all of the site
as part of the cache and as a store??
also a mirror can be even a reverse proxy to the main site or another
local\closer mirror.
This way you do not harm the integrity of the data and also make sure
that the mirror is a cache only mirror with a longer cache period which
can help a lot.

Eliezer