Re: [squid-users] external_acl_type helper exiting

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 02:33:54 +1200

On 26/09/2013 11:42 p.m., Warren Baker wrote:
> HI Guys,
>
> I have a problem where the helpers are exiting after a period of time
> in an external_acl_type setup.
> The acl is defined as follows:
>
> external_acl_type portal_page ipv4 children-idle=5 children-startup=5
> ttl=60 negative_ttl=0 concurrency=20 %SRC
> /usr/local/bin/portal-authenticator
>
> portal-authenticator is a Golang program that runs indefinitely. I
> have turned on debug_options ALL,1 82,9 but that has not indicated why
> the helper exits. If i run the helper manually I can leave it for days
> without it exiting. I have bumped up debug_options to ALL,9 to see
> whether there is anything else I can see but so far nothing.

The debug options for Squid will not help with this. The helper is a
completely separate program and all Squid can know is that the
connection to it died before told it to shutdown. Exactly what your log
snippet stated.

If the helper has any form of debugging you need to enable that and the
helpers stderr output will appear in squid cache.log. Good luck.

HTH
Amos