[squid-users] Content Filtering using HEAD Requests to a Parent Proxy?

From: Jeffrey Mealo <jmealo_at_stringtheoryschools.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 14:28:29 -0400

Hello,

I need to run several Squid child nodes on budget VPS servers to serve
as web caches. I have a parent proxy that serves as a content filter.
So the content filter doesn't become the bottleneck in terms of
bandwidth would it be possible to do the following?

1. Child proxy receives request from client
2. Child proxy issues a HEAD request to parent proxy (Content Filter)
3. If the response isn't a block page/error code, the child directly
connects to the destination server
4. If a block page is served, deny the request (possibly show a local
block page, or even the remote one).

Is there a way to do this without modifying Squid? If not could
someone point me in the right direction of where I can insert a script
that will return true or false as to whether a request should be
served via direct connection?

Thanks,
Jeff