[squid-users] Squid Reverse Proxy Superset / Subset server scenario

From: zipped <mike.kemn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 20:15:30 -0700 (PDT)

I've searched a bit and couldn't find the answer to my question. Sorry if
this has been posed before.

I need to setup a reverse proxy as follows. I have a master web server that
has the superset of my website/database, server A. I also have another
website that would have a subset of my website/database, server B. I need a
proxy server that can send all requests to the subset server, B. Then based
on the response from that request either return the response to the client
or forward the request higher to server A. This would be analogous to
having a world wide corporate website and a regional website where most of
the data requested from a specific area is on the regional website but there
are a few occasions when the world wide corporate site must be queried.

So in this scenario the request goes to proxy, then to server B, something
is written to the request response indicating the request was not
successfully found on server B. Then the request is forwarded up higher to
server A and sent back to the client.

The other possible scenario would be the request goes to the proxy, then to
server B, the request is found and returned to the client with no further
need for server A.

Is this possible with squid without modifying the source?