[squid-users] Squid handling NON HTTP protocols

From: Plamen <x-man_at_vivateam.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 06:56:18 -0700 (PDT)

Probably everyone who has deployed squid in a large scale as caching proxy
has come to this problem once or more, and the problem actually is with
various software running their own protocols over tcp connection on port 80.

Usually in order for Squid to work as transparent caching proxy we redirect
all port 80 communication to the squid and if some NON HTTP protocols come
to squid they are rejected, which brakes the software and leaves many
internet subscribers behind the proxy unhappy because they cannot use it
anymore.

For now I have seen many accounting and trading software who behave like
this.

Bypassing such sites in firewall (networking) level is possible but the
problem is with identifying all of them and processing the requests and
complaints from users.

Is there any way that squid can handle such NON HTTP communication in a way
that will not break the normal behavior of this kind of traffic when it goes
through it.