Re: [squid-users] Caching large files (i.e .ipsw)

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 19:06:16 +1300

On 24/10/2013 2:36 p.m., Archer wrote:
> Before i start, please forgive my ignorance (I'm still pretty new to this).
>
> What I'm using:
> Ubuntu Server 12.04.3
> Webmin 1.660
> Squid 3.1
>
> What I'm trying to achieve:
> I want to have a transparent bridged squid proxy server for caching large,
> frequently used files.
> (i.e Apple software updates, iOS .ipsw files).
> I do not need dynamic content (youtube etc.) to be stored, and general
> webpage data is not essential (but a definite bonus).
> The main idea is to increase performance (having to wait only 30sec to
> download a iOS restore file instead of 15min once the first client has
> downloaded it).

<snip>

> How do I configure squid to cache either:
> 1. All files

Don't. VERY bad idea. Try to work with HTTP and accept that there are
some things which are simply impossible to cache.
If its not clear why, then by all means investigate (Squid does have
some bugs), but forcing cache on anything without that investigation
always leads to problems.

> or
> 2. Specific files

Er, by "files" you mean "URLs". HTTP contains no concept of "files".
Which makes 2==3....

> or
> 3. Files from a specific domain / ip / url

  For URL (or all URLs in a domain) ...

Cacheability depends on the specific response and client requests used
to fetch it. So what is needed to improve cacheability varies a great
deal between specific URLs.

If you can present some of the apple download URLs which are not caching
when you think they should we can help explain or solve. The redbot.org
tool is also very helpful in indicating what the HTTP limitations are.

Amos