Re: [squid-users] Re: Squid naps each 3600 seconds !

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 10:54:45 -0600

On 10/24/2013 07:43 AM, Omid Kosari wrote:

> "digest_generation off" temporary solved problem but needs restart . I have
> tested with reload before .

Sounds like you have detected the source of the blocking Squid problem
and confirmed it! The fact that digest generation makes your Squid
unresponsive is essentially a Squid bug, but you might be able to help
Squid by adjusting its configuration. If you want to try it, I suggest
re-enabling digest generation and setting
digest_rebuild_chunk_percentage to 1.

If that works around your problem, great. Unfortunately, I suspect Squid
may still be unresponsive during digest generation time because of how
regeneration steps are scheduled and/or because of an old bug in the
low-level scheduling code of "heavy" events. However, using the minimum
digest_rebuild_chunk_percentage value (1) is still worth trying.

> But i could not use digest benefits anymore . Is there big penalty if both
> caches are in same gigabit switch ?

The digest optimization can be significant if the two Squids share a lot
of popular content _and_ it takes a long time for each Squid to get that
content from the internet during a miss.

HTH,

Alex.