Re: [squid-users] Re: load tpoxy wccp on multiple interfaces by smp ?

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 21:52:57 +0200

On 11/03/2013 09:20 PM, Dr.x wrote:
> wt a nice feedback from you , u really encouraged me to start squid 3.3.9
> now !!!!! with it ,
> but plz have a look and make a verification ,
> is it 16 or 24 real cores :
>
> here is /proc/cpuinfo result :
>
> *processor : 0
> vendor_id : GenuineIntel
> cpu family : 6
> model : 45
> model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 0 @ 2.30GHz
This should be it:
http://ark.intel.com/products/64593

Which is a 6 cores CPU each with 15M cache which is 2.5 MB cache for
each real core.
I do not know how the threading thing works exactly but it suppose to
give the software the benefit of *thinking* that there are couple more
processors and by that utilizing the maximum COMPUTATIONS from the CPU.
All the above assumes that there is a limit to the software and the
hardware can help the software a bit on execution scheduling etc.

Dont think it's something that is not helping but it's good to know that
the limit is 12 real cores that can execute in 2.3-2.8 which is a lot of
processing power..
What it means that you do not have 24*2.8 and it means about 10k
Requests per sec at top(while squid might take even more but I still not
tested it on this kind of machine with SMP).
What is 100% is that this machine can act as an EDGE router for about
40+GBps NP.

(about the threading thing it's like the hardware knows that there are
four places in a cycle that can be utilized and it can be utilized only
if a computation is scheduled so in a case of a thread on a CPU there is
a higher chance of utilizing one more part of each cycle for computation
rather then losing this part of this cycle forever.
It's an accurate description but it's more then nothing)

Eliezer