[squid-users] Squid response time (tr)

From: Mark DeCheser <lists_at_decheserstudios.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 13:34:38 -0000

Hello everyone --

I'm cooking up a custom log in Squid, and one of my planned data points is
Squid response time (tr), as defined here:

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/logformat/

I am not running a caching proxy.

Question 1:

Does the response time value reflect the time spent transferring a file
from the remote web server to the proxy server, or the time spent by the
squid daemon handling the request in total?

Question 2:

Can someone demonstrate the usefulness of capturing this value for the
purposes of tuning or troubleshooting the Squid proxy?

Thanks everyone,

Mark DeCheser