[squid-users] Re: is there any thing wrong from cache manager logs ?!!

From: Dr.x <ahmed.zaeem_at_netstream.ps>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 14:16:05 -0800 (PST)

Hey there,

> It's a bit weird..
> Lets try it from another angle one at a time..
> First user the basic 256MB MEMcache which is less the 512MB.
> Remove any cache_dir that do exits..

>>> *i started before without cache dir , but i had alot of "vary object
>>> loop" logs in cache.log
 i put cache dir so that i dont want to see any suspicious logs in cache.log
*

> This way we have pushed squid into the CPU and mem land.
> Having low memory is nothing to be afraid of..
> The main issue is why would you get into a position that squid that can
> pump lots of users traffic is not responding to you very well.
> If you have an unresponsive server to even SSH the next thing is basic
> PING tests.
> ARPING
> PING
> TCPING
> SSH_TCP_PING (telnet\nc port 22)
> HTTPING

*>>>again , the server in this status is very slow and with i could hardly
get access to last logs of cache manager due to slow responce of my
machine*

*
*

> And now again, what OS are you using? why do you need 500k FD allowed
> for a system that should use about 16k FD just for a test? 65k FS should
> be enough for most basic small ISP setup.

*>>i will try it , im using centos 6.4 with kernel rebuild to support
tproxy,*

> So only one instance of squid no workers at all no ROCK storage adding
> users should show you how the service works..
> (I can calm you down that I took up and down a server that serves more
> then 1k users live on it.)

*>>>well i will make another test*

> Indeed named can load on the server but since it's serving only squid I
> assume you do have another local DNS server in place so point to it.
> Using 8.8.8.8 public DNS will not solve your problems but rather make
> them worse unless you do have 1-30ms response time from it.

*>>>i know that , but just made a test to get problem of dns out and let
it far from my current issue !!*

You can also do DNS cache warm-up..

*
>the degradation is as below :
when start squid , and watching youtube , browse sites , no delay and
youtube is excellent
after some time , browsing is very slow ,youtube is interrupting and no
buffering videos !!!*

> I have looked at the graph and I do not understand what is the problem
> while there is a degradation?

*sorry, i ve modified the post above it was problem in display , here is the
graph i re-uploaded it
http://www2.0zz0.com/2013/11/07/21/928332022.png
as u see , the traffic should be about 55-60 M but after sometime the
traffifc become 30 M , which mean that there is slow and degredation occured
!!*

> Just a tiny test I want to add for all the above:
> start any local http server that you like and prefer like apache, nginx,
> lighthttpd, GoAhead-Webserver, micro_httpd or any other and put it on
> the "lan" or "network segment" with the squid server and try to download
> files of 512bytes 1KB 1MB 9MB 15MB 100MB and up.
> also try to access the cache-mgr page using:
> http://MY_CACHE_IP:zzzzzz/squid-internal-mgr/mem

>> with 1 user , no problem and squid is very nice ,

at the same time there is a problem and after\before.

> The graph that you supply doesn't really explains the problem in any of
> the network measurements at least I can understand.

*>look here http://www2.0zz0.com/2013/11/07/21/928332022.png*

Try to take a small look at:
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/UbuntuTproxy4Wccp2

> Which uses the tunnel method rather then the mac address rewritting
> method 2 wccp forwarding.
> (I am merely saying that I know it works very well for me)
> What device does the WCCP interception??

it is cisco MLS 76xx

There are bugs out-there in squid but I would like to see the bug..
I am not sure but what are the "free -m" status on this server while
squid is not running at all?
>>will make another test and tell u

> I am until now try to think of a test that will show and explain the
> problem in hands.
> There is an issue that I remember about FD limit that is being forced by
> the bash\startup script on squid master instance but I am not sure if
> this is the source to the issue or it's another thing.
> please add to squid init.d\startup script "ulimit -a" and the output of
> that..

[root_at_squid ~]# ulimit -a
core file size (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size (kbytes, -d) unlimited
scheduling priority (-e) 0
file size (blocks, -f) unlimited
pending signals (-i) 63772
max locked memory (kbytes, -l) 64
max memory size (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files (-n) 131072
pipe size (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority (-r) 0
stack size (kbytes, -s) 8192
cpu time (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes (-u) 63772
virtual memory (kbytes, -v) unlimited
file locks (-x) unlimited
[root_at_squid ~]# ulimit -n
131072
[root_at_squid ~]#

Are there any clues in the cache.log?
at first , no logs , no errors , after sometime i have ""closing of due to
life timeout in youtube"" videos

Best Regards,
Eliezer

-----