Re: [squid-users] Re: is there any thing wrong from cache manager logs ?!!

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 21:45:30 +1300

On 11/11/2013 5:04 p.m., Dr.x wrote:
> Amos Jeffries-2 wrote
>> On 2013-11-08 12:29, Dr.x wrote:
>>> Amos Jeffries-2 wrote

>>> hi amos , im not talkign about t the difference in , out ,
>>> im wondering why the "in" is higher than "out" ???
>>>
>>> shouldnt the "out" higher than "in" ( as a result of hit ration) ?????
>>>

>> That depends on what they are measuring. Which is why I asked.
>>

>>> i mean if i want to calculate wt im saving , i say (out-in)but in my
>>> case
>>> its in -ve !!!!
>>>

>> IF you measure "in" as being traffic on LAN interface and "out" as being
>> traffic on WAN interface they could very well be negative.
>>
>> If you measure "in" as being packets into the box from any interface,
>> and "out" as being packets leaving the Squid box. It could very well be
>> *either* positive or negative.
>>
>> If you are measuring only one interface, they will again be *either*
>> positive or negative depending on the interface.
>>

>> So ... what are "in" and "out" measuring *exactly* ??
>>

>> Amos
>
> well , i must be missunderstanding something about the bw saving
> calculation !!!
> the question now is :
> how i calculate the bw that im saving by squid ?????

The full calculation is:

   bytes from client
 - bytes to server

 + bytes to client
 - bytes from server

 = bandwidth saving/loss.

Current Squid only surface the metrics necessary to calculate that
yourself in the "utilization" cachemgr report (the last section has
totals) or SNMP counters
(http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/Snmp#Squid_OIDs) under
"Per-Protocol Statistics".

Squid adds headers and sometimes chunked encoding overheads and strips
some garbage from the headers as things go through. So even on a
non-caching proxy there is a difference which may add up to a savings OR
a loss.

Amos