Re: [squid-users] Re: is there any thing wrong from cache manager logs ?!!

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 00:16:58 +1300

On 11/11/2013 10:08 p.m., Dr.x wrote:
> Amos Jeffries-2 wrote
>> The full calculation is:
>>
>> bytes from client
>> - bytes to server
>>
>> + bytes to client
>> - bytes from server
>>
>> = bandwidth saving/loss.
>>

>> Current Squid only surface the metrics necessary to calculate that
>> yourself in the "utilization" cachemgr report (the last section has
>> totals) or SNMP counters
>> (http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/Snmp#Squid_OIDs) under
>> "Per-Protocol Statistics".
>>

>> Squid adds headers and sometimes chunked encoding overheads and strips
>> some garbage from the headers as things go through. So even on a
>> non-caching proxy there is a difference which may add up to a savings OR
>> a loss.
>>

>> Amos
>
> hi amos , thanks alot .
>
> im trying to understand the calculation equation why it is as the formula u
> posted above ??
> not understanding ,
> ""bytes from client ""
> from client to wt ?? from client to squid ?

> can i calculate the speed savings??
>
> i mean that i want to calculate the bw over speed not over bytes
>
> also i want to see this saving every 60 sec
> is that possible ?

Sure. Poll the SNMP every 60sec and calculate.

> i use mrtg monitors and usually i have basic snmp on interface
> i look at traffic speed between "in" , "out" , speed"in"-speed"out"=speed
> saving ( i know its not accurate)
> my question is does my calcultion bw saving speed containg a very error
> value ?

You are using the word "speed" here in strange ways.

speed is a measurement of something over time.

How many seconds can you have in 1 second? dont make much sense to have
more than 1 or less than 1. So how can you save some seconds of the 60
sec period? ...

The thing which is changing is the bytes. You get more or less total
bytes in each direction every second (or every 60 seconds).

Proxy does not gain in speed, but it does gain/lose in some bytes each
time period.

So you take the calculation I gave for "bandwidth saving/loss" every 60
seconds. Also subtract the total savings value you had 60 seconds ago,
and the result is the savings in just these latest 60 seconds.

I assume that is what you are meaning. Since the other translations do
not make sense at all.

> assume i have 700Mbps pumped to squid.
> regards

Amos