[squid-users] Re: RPM for Squid 3.3.10 is OUT.

From: Dr.x <ahmed.zaeem_at_netstream.ps>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 23:22:25 -0800 (PST)

Eliezer Croitoru-2 wrote
> I am happy to release the new RPM for squid version 3.3.10.(links at the
> bottom of the article)
>
> The new release includes the big addition of cache_dir type *rock*, big
> thanks for Alex Rousskov work on rock ssl-bump and many other small and
> big things that makes squid what it is!
>
> What is *rock* cache_dir type? What it gives me?
> Speed! and SMP support for cache_dir.
>
> A small introduction to FileSystems and Squid:
> Squid uses UFS\AUFS types cache directories for a very long time in a
> very nice way to overcome and try to beat the OS and the FileSystems
> limits in order to allow millions of objects\files to be cached.
>
> The UFS type that can be used with either reiserFS, ext4 or any other FS
> you can think about that is supported by the OS.
> There are limits to each and every FS like the reiserFS that was
> designed to work with lots of small\tiny files and does that in a very
> nice way.
>
> A FS far as it is perfected it is still a *FileSystem* which is very
> global and has a design which effects directly on the performance of
> itself.
> An example for this point is being demonstrated when creating a file on
> a FS can be quite easy in one while erasing a file can result in a very
> CPU and I\O intensive task on some FS.
> If you are interested in understanding a bit more about FS complexity
> you can watch Ric Wheeler at his video and presentation:
> * video:
> http://video.linux.com/videos/one-billion-files-pushing-scalability-limits-of-linux-file-systems
> * or: http://www1.ngtech.co.il/squid/videos/37.webm
>
> * pdf:
> http://www.redhat.com/summit/2011/presentations/summit/decoding_the_code/thursday/wheeler_t_0310_billion_files_2011.pdf
> * or:
> http://www1.ngtech.co.il/squid/fs/wheeler_t_0310_billion_files_2011.pdf
>

> What heavy lifting do the FS and squid needs to handle with?
> UFS\AUFS actually uses the FileSystem in order to store for an example
> 200 requests per second which 50 of them are not even cacheable so 150
> requests per second to be placed in files in the FileSystem based on the
> OS.
> 60 secs doubles 60 minutes doubles 100 requests per second(yes I reduced
> it..) it means creation of about 3600 files on the FS per hour for a
> tiny Small Office squid instance.
> While some squid systems can sit on a very big machine with more then
> one instance that has more then 500 requests per second per instance,
> the growth can be about 14,400,000 per hour.
>
> It do sounds like a very big number but a MegaByte is about 1 Million
> bytes and today we are talking about speeds which exceeds 10Gbps..
>
> So there might be another design that is needed in order to store all
> these HTTP objects and which rock comes to unleash.
>
> In the next release I will try to describe it in more depth.
>
> * note that the examples do demonstrate the ideas in a wild way.

> [...]

nice news ,
i would like to ask about mounting options related to rock ,
is it critical for performance ??
' i read wiki , but no one care with it !!!

as an example machine with 7 hardisks ssd , each hardisk with 90 G storage ,
and with about 4000 req/sec on squid with smp.

does squid 3.3.10 better than squid 3.3.9 for rock support and speed ???
if not big updater i prefer staying with 3.3.9

regards

-----
Dr.x