[squid-users] Cannot get basic_ldap_auth to work with AD

From: Brig <rdyz4me_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 08:24:56 -0800 (PST)

Trying to get Squid to use our AD server to authenticate users with LDAP. I
cannot get the basic_ldap_auth helper to work. I keep getting error:

ERR Success

I am able to bind to the AD server and query ldap though using "ldapsearch"
and the following command:

ldapsearch -LLL -H ldap://ldap.mydomain.com -x -D
'CN=squidauth,OU=Users,OU=IT,DC=mydomain,DC=com' -w 'squidauth_password' -b
'DC=mydomain,DC=com' SAMAccountName uid uidNumber

That works fine yet if I use the Squid basic_ldap_auth helper program and
then enter in a good userid and password I just get that same error:

/usr/lib/squid3/basic_ldap_auth -R -v 3 -d -b “dc=mydomain,dc=com” -D
“cn=squidauth,ou=Users,ou=IT,dc=mydomain,dc=com” -w "squidauth_password" -h
ldap.mydomain.com

squid squidpass

basic_ldap_auth.cc(739): pid=31847 :attempting to authenticate user
'uid=squid,“dc=mydomain,dc=com”'
ERR Success

I am running on ubuntu and just to make sure I was not hitting a bug I
downloaded the latest source code squid-3.3.10 and compiled that and still
get the same error.

Spent many hrs searching all the Squid forums, etc, and have not been able
to find a solution that will work. My strengths are all on the Linux/Squid
side and I am not familiar with MS AD server, we have an Admin that runs
that so hoping someone here has experience with it.

Thanks in advance for any help you folks can give!

Brig