Re: [squid-users] Squid 27 vs 33

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 23:07:19 +0200

OK,

Answer inside:

On 11/13/2013 05:54 PM, Luis Daniel Lucio Quiroz wrote:
> Yes, comparing squid33 and squid27, in same scenarios. who needs more
> ram to run?
I will answer a question(s) to myself:
In a case there are no memory leaks for a software will it require more
space then the binary code?
Will a more complex software will require more memory to operate?
Will a SMP software will be more complex then a one that is not?
The general answer is yes it will take more RAM.

The other questions to ask are how much RAM will you spare for squid
being a 3-20 MB binary piece of software?

I assume that once you will run it for 10 days with no requests and use
at all you might see the basic memory footprint of the software which
can exceed the 20MB but will probably be less then 100MB.
depends on the Compiler and on many other components.

I will ask you the basic question that will answer to you in a way you
can understand.
While having a 2GB RAM will you let squid33 run with full 256MB footprint?

If you are using a system with much lower RAM space consider first try
to just startup squid and verify how much RAM it consumes.
Then try to compile it for\on the same system to see how much ram usage
was reduced by compiling it with optimal options.

I must warn you this path is very long and since 1GB of ram can cost
very low prices I would not worry that much about "who needs more ram to
run?" but rather ask "what is my environment RAM consumption from squid?".
The mentioned question can be answered only by a basic analysis and
testing of your environment by implementing a small squid instance to
"sample" the network traffic while moving from the network layer level
to the Application level without caching and then adding RAM caching and
only then DISK caching.
Since squid is a very small piece of software compared to some cache
objects sometimes it will be worth to just put it to make sure you are
not loosing anything.

I will be happy to try and understand the size of the question you are
asking.

Regards,
Eliezer