Re: [squid-users] Re: Ubuntu Server 13.10. Squid 3.3.8. WARNING: external ACL 'memberof' queue overload

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 00:33:27 +0200

So,

A summery:
unix_sockets = how helpers communicate with squid instances.
And not only that..
All squid instances in SMP communicate using unix_sockets which are
inter-kernel sockets to allow any process communicate with any other
process.

(Found this:
  /*
   * Do we have unix sockets? (required for the winbind ntlm helper
   */
)

I have a question which is not for squid-users but I will just write it
down to not forget it later in the morning.
Q: Why each and every squid instance startup every helper as a "fork"
while we do have IPC_SOCKETS? We can use one dedicated INSTANCE(in the
far future) to do all these *consulting* while using a rock like approach.
I do understand that concurrency in this situation must be True in all
cases no matter what happens.
A: What Is ICAP there for?.. Auth helpers probably cannot use the exact
same interface(?) as ICAP offers.

Thanks!!