Re: [squid-users] Re: logrotate with SMP problem !!!

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 09:31:47 +1300

On 2013-11-18 07:22, Dr.x wrote:
> Helmut Hullen wrote
>> Hallo, Dr.x,
>>
>> Du meintest am 17.11.13:
>>
>>> ive configured squid to be logrotated from script in
>>> /etc/logrotate.d/squid but ,
>>> logrotating is not working fine !
>>
>> Sorry - "logrotate" works fine, but it works in another way than you
>> want it to work.
>>
>>> as we see , i have access.log.1 ,access.log.2 ,access.log.3
>>> ................................access.log.6
>>
>>> i dont want the numbered values here ,
>>
>> Then you need another program than "logrotate".
>>
>> Viele Gruesse!
>> Helmut
>
> the same config above works fine on a debian machine os !!!
> on debian os , no renamed files exist , all are deleted .
>
> ive copied the same config !!!!

When you set the directive in squid.conf:
   logfile_rotate 0

Then squid does *NOT* do any log file name changing. All it does is
close its connection to the logs and open a new connection to the
un-numbered file.

If you have wrongly set logfile_rotate to a number other than 0 (the
default is 10 unless you configure it to something else). Or if you have
wrongly used access.log.${process_number} to create log files then you
will end up with numbered files.

Note: Debian packages contain hard-coded chanegs that integrate Squid
with logrotate. Including lgrotate script and squid.conf default
"logfile_rotate 0".

Check for those two problems. If they do not exist in your squid.conf
then the problem is outside of Squid. Possibly you have two logrotate
scripts managing squid log files?
   grep -R "squid" /etc/logrotate.d/

Amos