Re: [squid-users] squid 3.4.0.2 + smp + rock storage error

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 10:16:37 -0700

On 11/20/2013 02:19 AM, Alexandre Chappaz wrote:

> I have the same kind of error but what bugs me is that I cannot
> reproduce this systematically. I am really wondering if this is a
> permission PB on shm mount point and / or /var/run/squid permissions
> :
>
> some times the service starts normally ( worker kids stay up ) and
> some times some or all of the the worker kids die with this error :
>
> FATAL: Ipc::Mem::Segment::open failed to
> shm_open(/squid-cache_mem.shm): (2) No such file or directory.

This is usually caused by two SMP Squid instances running, which is
usually caused by incorrect "squid -z" application in the system
startup/service scripts. YMMV, but the logs you posted later seem to
suggest that it is exactly what is happening in your case.

Do you run squid-z from the system startup/service script? If yes, does
the script assume that squid -z ends when the squid -z command returns?
If yes, the script should be modified to avoid that assumption because,
in recent Squid releases, the squid-z instance continues to run (in the
background) and clash with the regular squid instance started by the
same script a moment later.

There was a recent squid-dev discussion about fixing squid-z. I am not
sure there was a strong consensus regarding the best solution, but I
hope that squid-z will start doing nothing (Squid will just exit with a
warning message about the deprecated option) in the foreseeable future
while Squid instances will be capable of creating missing directories
runtime, when needed (and allowed) to do so.

More details and a call for volunteers at
 http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-dev/201311/0017.html

HTH,

Alex.