Re: [squid-users] What do you recommend?

From: Antony Stone <Antony.Stone_at_squid.open.source.it>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 16:09:37 +0000

On Monday 25 November 2013 at 15:50, alamb200 wrote:

> I want to set in place a device to run squid proxy so that I can the reduce
> bandwidth usage

So, you want Squid to be configured as a caching proxy - that's not difficult,
and there are lots of tutorials and guides around on the net to help with
this.

> and also so i can see what users are doing on the web.

Assuming that it is legal to do this, wherever you are, then you want a
logfile analysis tool - again there are several around, but you could start
with http://squidalyser.sourceforge.net/

> So far I have tried a Windows solution but could not sort out the syslog
> bit and a linux solution which I struggled with and had to give up.

I would always recommend a Linux-based solution for Squid (and indeed for
networked services in general), so it would be helpful if you could tell us:

 - which version (distribution) of Linux did you try?

 - which guidelines did you follow to get Squid working?

 - which aspects did you find yourself struggling with?

 - what didn't work satisfactorily, leading you to give up?

What you're looking for is a relatively simple Squid setup, so hopefully it
shoudn't be too hard to identify what problem you had, and people here can
almost certainyl help you to solve it.

Regards,

--
"There has always been an underlying argument that we should open up our
source code more broadly. The fact is that we are learning from open source