Re: [squid-users] Squid stops handling requests after 30-35 requests

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 08:56:48 +0200

Hey Bhagwat,

I am having some trouble understanding what is the problem since
squid.conf is not available to me.

Most of the times that one machine or more will try to access a service
on the internet 120 every second it is probably since there is a DOS
attack prevention mechanism and this is why the connection is being refused.

Sometimes the source of the problem is the src service that actually
replies with a 503 code..
It is kind of happening everyday in the world.

I have tested squid in a far more advanced load then this and which if
you want to "test" setup the test environment with 1-2
apache\nginx\other and use squid as a proxy towards it.
I have done it in the past and if you will use one tiny file the service
will serve it from MEMORY while writing to disk the logs.

If the problem is really series then probably it's not squid as a direct
reason to this unless it's a really troubling bug.
To make sure it is a bug that should be handled by squid development
team you will need to match the development cycle of the project.

So try to do couple things in your test environment:
- http service which can handle more then 150 requests per sec(2 cores)
- tiny/medium/big size files as a target for tests throw squid
- squid instance with the versions you are using with default settings.

test 10 requests one after the other and make sure the logs are in the
http service.
Then add more requests each time you request from this testing host
throw squid.
There is an option to use ab (apache benchmark) which is a very nice
tool for checking proxy loads.

You can also try to remove any logs(squid and http) to see if it has any
effect on the load that the service can take.

For me it seems like the service is responding with 503 and not squid
but since we do not have squid.conf I and you are at the wide open blue
skies of "unknown".

All The Bests,
Eliezer