[squid-users] Re: Large rock problem

From: Ayham Abou Afach <a.afach_at_hybridware.co>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 11:53:17 +0200

Hi Alex

On 12/01/2013 1043 PM, Alex Rousskov wrote
> On 12/01/2013 0335 AM, Ayham Abou Afach wrote
>
>> um testing Squid bzr with large rock support and facing the following
>> problems
>
> Which bzr branch? To test Large Rock support, you should be using

Yes Alex um using the large rock branch

>> -I can't create rock DIR with more than 32768 slot size . after
>> increasing this value i got error with assertion failed
>
> Why do you want to increase the slot size? The 32KB slot size limit does
> not limit the size of the responses that Large Rock can store. It comes
> from shared memory-related limits unrelated to caching. In most cases,
> you should not specify the slot size to let Squid pick the "best" one.

um using rock dirs more than 500G so when i use the default one ( 16K )
i got an error that um wasting disk space (related to object count *
slot size ) so i increased slot size to support more size

>> -after starting squid with any rock store it starts using it for some
>> time ( 1 or 2 hours ) and then it stops reading or writing any thing to
>> disk ( disk hit 0 ) and it seems like the rock dir is disconnected , i
>> need to restart the proxy to see the disk again
>
> Any potentially related warnings or errors in cache.log? What does cache
> manager mgr:storedir page say before and after that "hit 0" happens?
> How do you know that Squid is not writing anything to disk?

squidclient storedir gives empty values

by kid1
Store Directory Statistics
Store Entries 19742
Maximum Swap Size 0 KB
Current Store Swap Size 0.00 KB
Current Capacity 0.00 used, 0.00 free

Shared Memory Cache
Maximum Size: 524288 KB
Current Size: 524288.00 KB 100.00
Maximum entries: 16384
Current entries: 11875 72.48
Used slots: 16384 100.00

and the same for the other kids

squidclient mgr info

Cache information for squid
         Hits as of all requests 5min: 0.2, 60min: 0.2
         Hits as of bytes sent 5min: 0.2, 60min: 0.1
         Memory hits as of hit requests 5min: 10.1, 60min: 10.0
         Disk hits as of hit requests 5min 0.0, 60min: 0.0
         Storage Swap size 0 KB
         Storage Swap capacity 0.0 used, 0.0 free
         Storage Mem size 524288 KB
         Storage Mem capacity 100.0 used, 0.0 free
         Mean Object Size 0.00 KB
         Requests given to unlinkd 0

this statistics start after 1 hour or more every thing is zeroed and the
vmstat command shows no writes to disks
and the df command shows that size values not increasing for cache disks