Re: [squid-users] Re: how to use multi instances (SMP) in squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 20:50:24 +1300

On 10/12/2013 1:40 p.m., iishiii wrote:
> now i have read it....
>
> but cant understand completely....
> so squid cant work with multiprocessors ?

Squid can and does. Squid helpers are separate processes and can use any
CPUs other than the Squid workers CPU. AUFS is threaded and the OS can
split those over any CPUs it likes.

That wiki page outlines the worker directive for enabling multple Squid
worker processes and details of the components which do or dont work
with the current SMP support in Squid workers.

> what about my 2nd question about not giving hits ?

HITs depend on which proxy instance is getting the request and whether
it has access to where the cached object is stored (if any).
Also, object with Vary are not cached in shared memory so that other workers

Amos