[squid-users] Re: how to use multi instances (SMP) in squid

From: Dr.x <ahmed.zaeem_at_netstream.ps>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 03:38:57 -0800 (PST)

iishiii wrote
> Thanks a lot Amos !!
> please help me little more in way exactly what steps should i perform for
> SMP
> how should i break my squid conf and what more configuration is required.
>

> and ..... How to tune squid for getting greater hit rates... tell me some
> steps to try.

hi ,
looooook

you are right .

smp scale from wiki is some difficult and is not suitable for beginner to
understand .

for luck u can ask in mailing list and have more understanding .
1st of all :
let me ask u some questions :

why u need smp ?
wt is the os of ur system ?
do u have high load and ur squid cant handle more traffic ?
wt is ur server machine details ?
how is memory and cpu core and how many hardisk u have ?
==================================
so ,
as a start ,
to start with smp , ur squid version should be higher than 3.2.x as i
remember ,
so i advise u to compile squid with 3.3.9 or 3.3.10 or higher , and
enable "rock" store when u compile it .
then
u should read this wiki
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/SmpScale

and look at the bottom of page u will find 3 frequently problems when we
deal with smp ,
u should do as explained because smp may not start well .

after that ,
and making sure smp is fine
====================================
u can add to squid.conf :
workers 3 =========>"start with 3"
and start without cache_dir .

when u do the above tell me so that u continue and go to next steps in
tuning parameters and enhance squid .

again ,
my understanding is not soo good, but as i can i tried to help u ,
mr Amos has alot of answers to next questions .

wish i helped u

regards

Ahmd

-----