[squid-users] Re: how to use multi instances (SMP) in squid

From: Dr.x <ahmed.zaeem_at_netstream.ps>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 01:13:04 -0800 (PST)

Eliezer Croitoru-2 wrote
> Hey dr,
>
> On 11/12/13 10:24, Dr.x wrote:
>>
>> and again , here , im asking Amos about SMP>>>>>
>>
>> can we after using SMP to get more BW saving ?? assume we fixed all other
>> parameters of squid and want to make comparison .
> I am not sure I understand your question.
>
>> assume i have server without smp and save about 40 MBps
>>
>> can i reach this value after SMP ???
>
> From the question My only conclusion is that the complexity of SMP was
> not understood yet.
>
> Squid is a single process application.
> In 3.2 what we try to do is to let the admin configure a cache service
> using the basic single process idea while extending the configuration to
> allow pre-defining of multi process squid service.
>
> Each and every squid instance can and should communicate with other
> instances in order to achieve the result which is MutliCPU utilization.
>
> I would try to say that looking at squid instances is more like "how do
> I configure a cluster of squids?"
>
> Once the understanding of how a cluster should be configured the answer
> to your question will be answered in a sec.
>
> All the bests,
> Eliezer

but i think i have a good understanding of smp squid ,
" u may understood me "

why i asked that is ,

because i am talkign about maximum object size is 32 k

thats why i think that hit ration and bw saving in smp will be less that
normal squid .

and agian , this is just a questionnaire

agian ,
 eleizer ,
thanks for your reply

reagrds