Re: [squid-users] transparent https question

From: Marcelo Barbudas <nostef_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 10:19:49 +0200

Thanks for taking the time to answer Amos.

> On port 443 traffic the Host: header is buried inside the encryption. So
> is the whole URL. Until the server contact has been established, certs
> exchanged with the client and the first HTTP request received there is
> no known Host header.
>
> NP: the SSL cert domain name(s) can be wildcard or completely irrelevant
> domain so is not reliable either.

This gets me worried. Is what I'm trying to do possible? DNS spoof a
domain (it's resolved to the squid server) and transparent proxy the
https traffic to the real host?

(as a general idea I don't care about the contents of https traffic,
intercepting or otherwise, but because of the dns spoof I have to
forward it to the real host)

Yes, I'm trying with https://google.com.

> You are testing from localhost? That is the only machine permitted
> through this Squid. Although you did get Connection Refused instead of
> 403 Forbidden.

Yes, I'm testing with localhost.

-M.