Re: [squid-users] Are downloads realy faster by using squid?

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 23:13:49 +0200

Hey Dirk,(Is this the first name?)

The basic question about a *fast* cache is if you need it or not.
If you have two computers which are connected using a direct cable from
one to the other, would you need a cache?
The issue is what will this cache do..
Let say for example you have a 1Gb line from local network to the wide
area network and you need access to the service to a machine that in the
other side of the 1Gb cable switch..
In most cases it will be enough for HTTP requests in sizes of 32kb.
There are cases which there are thousands of requests and the 1Gb line
is not enough to satisfy 9k requests per sec.

Squid will sure not satisfy all clients requests but it will help some
and maybe most of them.
If all these requests for example are to a dynamic source then there is
not a chance that it will be cached but it will help the clients to not
kill the 1Gb line.

Squid can help to determine if a cache proxy is needed at all and if so
what and how it will help the clients and line owner.

If for example you have 1Gb line and DISK with speed of only 100Mbps it
will be slower then 1Gb.
If you have one side of the connection with 1Gb while the other is 10Gb
and disks that can reach up to speed of 10Gb almost everybody will be
happy for sometime.

Since there is no DISK yet that can work in a speed of 10Gbps as far as
I can tell, it will be hard to satisfy all clients..
Also note that there are many memory sticks that can utilize bandwidth
of about 2Gbps which is far less then the CPU that can process about
30Gbps(PC)..

So now: What disks are you using on the cache server and what line speed
are we talking about?

The more information we will have we can then find the source of the
slowdowns and maybe find a solution.

All The Bests,
Eliezer