Re: [squid-users] authenticate to pam's DB on squid machine with NTLM

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 16:20:57 +1300

On 22/12/2013 7:15 p.m., Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> Per my previous message, it seems that if I want to have Negotiate
> authentication for my Linux machines (which use Kerberos in my
> network), I have to support Negotiate for the Windows machines,
> even though they don't actually use Kerberos. It seems they want
> to use NTLMSSP when they are offered Negotiate from Squid without
> Kerberos tickets.
>
> So, I don't want the Windows machines to join any AD domains
> here[1]. There are no AD domains or services for them to join one
> for. I simply want them to be able to use Squid, which seems to
> mean them using the Negotiate authentication method that Squid is
> offering them (as well as Basic but I suppose Windows is ignoring
> that one because it is a weaker protocol), which appears to mean
> they use NTLMSSP.
>
> So does anyone have a HOWTO they can point to on what I need to do
> to simply get Squid to be able to use ntlm_auth to authenticate the
> Windows users against PAM on the Squid machine?
>
> I have seen http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Authenticate
> and in particular
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Authenticate/Ntlm but
> that seems to assume one has an existing AD domain and PDC that
> they can point Samba on the Squid machine to using:

This is not an assumption from the documentation. NTLM protocol
*requires* a DC to operate.

NP: at this point no doubt some people will pop up saying they got it
to work without one. But that is only with NTLMv1 enabled and
performing a silent downgrade to the very old LanMan protocols which
operate like Basic auth inside the NTLMSSP wrapper.

> password server = myPDC
>
> in the smb.conf.
>
> But as I said above, there is no AD domain here, therefore no PDC.
> I don't really have any desire to create one, just to authenticate
> Windows Squid users. I just want to be able to authenticate the
> Windows Negotiate/NTLMSSP against the local PAM passwd service on
> the Squid machine.

Good luck. You will need to start with finding a PAM service can
authenticate NTLMSSP protocol. AFAIK there is no such service.

If you do manage to find one, you will have to locate or write a NTLM
authentication helper for Squid to use it. The PAM helper provided
with Squid only supports Basic authentication.

Amos