Re: [squid-users] squid 3.3.8 failed to start because of hard-coded acl with ::1

From: Craig R. Skinner <skinner_at_britvault.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 21:40:41 +0000

On 2013-12-31 Tue 23:07 PM |, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> Hey Craig,
>
> I want to verify the issue.
> Do these FreeBSD machines operate only on the ipv4 level?

As I wrote Eliezer, I use OpenBSD which is dual stack.

I included a link to a bug verified by the FreeBSD ports team.

> The line you have mentioned:
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~squid/squid/3-trunk/view/head:/src/cf.data.pre#L847
> Assumes that the machine is ipv6 enabled by default.

It's very easy to test. No kernel or squid recompile needed.

By setting the DNS resolver to use IPv4 only, squid can't start/parse
(i.e. it is a DNS resolution issue):

> >$ fgrep family /etc/resolv.conf
> >family inet4

Re-enabling IPv6 DNS resolution lets squid run again:

> >$ fgrep family /etc/resolv.conf
> >#family inet4

Maybe squid could first check at run time if IPv6 DNS resolution is
avaliable before requiring IPv6 default ACLs?

FreeBSD solved it by removing IPv6 items from the hardcoded default ACLs

Admins can still use IPv6 in /etc/squid/squid.conf, but it their choice.

Thanks,

--
Craig Skinner | http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03mtrg9/clips