Re: [squid-users] Re: Squid 2.7.STABLE5 hangs with "HEAD" request in LOG

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 03:28:49 +0200

On 13/01/14 12:52, 4eversr wrote:
> @Eliezer Croitoru-2: You mentioned that "Firefox and IE does not load a site
> on the same machine". That is not the whole truth: Firefox works 100%
> perfect on every machine, only IE stops with that "HEAD" message in IE log.
> I tested this behavior on different workstations, and it's always the same:
> firefox works perfect, IE stucks while loading the video with this "HEAD"
> message in the squid logs.
Well it might not even related directly to IE by IE..
It can also be the application layer level which you cannot control.
You describe that you see couple requests one after the other which do
tend to let the client stay in a specific state.
If for example IE has a mechanism that blocks XSS attacks and suspects
or investigate this application it can take something like that.

You can investigate it using explorer tools like describe in this page:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/gg589530%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

It can be that squid processing of the request is the issue.
Basically sometimes some software that runs on the PC can hang a bit
since the runtime of the software actually requires more CPU power then
it is on another platform.

You can see the basic source code of the page and think or find out if
the page is suppose to generate this request you see as HEAD request.

If it is indeed needs to do this request then you have direction on
finding the basic reason else then just cache or any other level.

Webmin might not have the right settings or the plugins is not
up-to-date to read or understand the settings.
If the cache proxy is running and the cache-mgr page shows that the
cache is initialized it is probably is initialized..

Since requests can be reproduced manually by external tools you can
verify that when issuing the same exact request using manual tools it
will look from the TCP and transport layers the same and the response
will be OK.
While at the same time that the request is being served for all clients
for some applications\software\programs which are at the upper levels of
the runtime it will look like the response is not being served.

All The Bests,
Eliezer