Re: [squid-users] squid 3.3.11 on SLES11 SP3 and couldn't squid -k reconfigure ?

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 11:19:45 +0100

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 8:36 AM, Josef Karliak <karliak_at_ajetaci.cz> wrote:
> Good morning,
> I've squid 3.3.11.xx on SLES11 SP3, all OK, but I often used "squid -k
> reconfigure" after changing some configuration (adding forbiden domains or
> so). But there is some problem - the command mentioned above tell me some
> errors:
> proxy:/etc/squid # squid -k reconfigure
> squid: ERROR: No running copy
>
> But proxy is running, we browse on the internet. What went wrong ?
> Thanks for kicking to the right way and best regards
> J.Karliak.

squid -k reconfigure needs to obtain the process-id of the running
copy, it gets that from the pid-file (I think the config option is
pid_filename).
So either the running squid can't write the pid file, or the file
can't be read by the "-k reconfigure" command; this can be due to
filesystem permissions, or something else deleting the pid-file in the
meantime.

--
    /kinkie