[squid-users] Squid wont work when removing DG

From: Scott Mayo <scotgmayo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 08:14:32 -0600

I have run a DG/Squid setup for quite some time. I am having problems
with slowness. It seems DG has too many processes open. I wanted to
test this to remove DG from the mix.

DG listens on 8080 and Squid on 3128. I have it set to authenticate users.

Since I wanted to test I did the following:
1. Edited squid.conf to listen on 8080
2. Stopped DG
3. Restarted squid 'squid -k reconfigure'

After that did not work I even set squid.conf back to listening to
port 3128 and had my test client proxy settings changed to 3128
instead of 8080. I even cleared my squid cache out.

In both scenarios it seems that the client would intermittently hit
the Internet. Most of the times it just gave me the error that I
could retrieve the cache (cant recall what it exactly says),. but once
in a bit it would pop up with my authtentication and pull a webpage
(not very often).

I even disabled my IPTABLES for a bit to make sure it was nothing
there. I can put my DG back into place and everything works fine,
well except for the slowness when all the users get on.

Any idea why Squid would not work like that? I did check with netstat
and Squid was listening on the port that it should be in both
instances.

Thanks.

--
Scott Mayo
Mayo's Pioneer Seeds   PH: 573-568-3235   CE: 573-614-2138