Re: [squid-users] Hypothetically comparing SATA\SAS to NAS\SAN for squid.

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 14:08:14 +0200

Thanks Marcus,

I indeed understood the subject in more depth.
For now I do look for couple answers about the IOPS tools I can use.
I will just say that on the next squid RPM release I will write about
somethings related to these subjects.
On what level would be the way to test\verify the IOPS?
To me it seems like it's not the FS but the more lower levels of the
devices.
I am asking my self about when testing IOPS what would be the way to
measure it?
Since we have the maximum per the device and the current usage it is
fairly weird to even test.
The basic assumption when testing should be first ACCEPT and only then
REJECT from my understanding.
I heard couple things about the kernel this and the kernel that and
these are like this and that but it requires more then just the basics
to say that.
It is very confusing what tool to measure with the disk quality or the
disk performance.
The kernel might be blame of couple things but I would not expect a 5400
RPM drive to be faster then the speed of light which from what I have
understood is something users "want".
is there anyone that can actually read this thing:
$ iostat /dev/sda -d 2
Linux 3.11.0-15-generic (eliezer-HP) 22/01/14 _x86_64_ (4 CPU)

Device: tps kB_read/s kB_wrtn/s kB_read kB_wrtn
sda 5.85 95.47 136.58 128853206 184347015

Device: tps kB_read/s kB_wrtn/s kB_read kB_wrtn
sda 0.00 0.00 0.00 0 0

Device: tps kB_read/s kB_wrtn/s kB_read kB_wrtn
sda 1.00 0.00 20.00 0 40

Device: tps kB_read/s kB_wrtn/s kB_read kB_wrtn
sda 0.00 0.00 0.00 0 0

I am trying to understand how kB or kb or tps is converted into IOPS?
bits I know bytes I know Kilo I know and disk that cuts metal I know.
one bytes = 8 bits
one Kbyte = 8 bits * 1024
one IO = ??

Thanks In Advance,