Re: [squid-users] Cross compilation in version > 3.1

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 23:29:26 +1300

On 23/01/2014 10:39 p.m., Stefano Cordibella wrote:
> Hi list,
> I am trying to compile squid 3.3.11 in our openembedded environment,
> but the configure step fails due to a cross compile check.
> In version 3.1.23 there wasn't those checks and the build goes well...
>
> So my questions are:
> 1) why from version 3.2 these checks are included in configure?

The change in behaviour is from newer autoconf being used to generate
the code tarballs. One of the reasons for that was to get better/easier
cross-compiling support.

> 2) are there any way to cross compile 3.3 (or 3.4)?

You should only** have to specify the ./configure options to tell it
which OS the compile is happening on (--build=X) and which OS type will
run the binary (--host=Y).

What exactly is the failure you are encountering?

** besides having the appropriate *-dev library versions installed for
cross-compiling against and tools that can cross-compile.

> 3) I read in the FAQ that from version 3.2 C++11 compilers is required,
> I am using gcc 4.7.2, is it a supported compiler?

Not required. "Preferred" is the word for it. We have code to make use
of some C++11 only when available. Mostly we are taking advantage of the
increased compiler code checking in our build farm to remove bugs before
anyone notices them :-)

The switch to mandatory C++11 support for general builds is still being
discussed on squid-dev and IRC as to when the timing would offer least
pain for everyonea and how long we can procrastinate on it. It might
happen around Squid-3.6.

Any GCC 4.0+ (excluding 4.5 with broken stdlib definitions of
auto_ptr/unique_ptr) should work fine for Squid-3.2 and later. The later
versions are better though with more general C++11 support benfits than
the older ones.

Cheers
Amos