Re: [squid-users] Re: Squid 3.4.2 workers dying then re-spawned ones don't process connections

From: Will Roberts <ironwill42_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 08:09:26 -0500

On 01/23/2014 04:07 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> I've seen a lot of messages about closing old connections due to
>> lifetime timeout, is there any possibility that we're hitting a fd
>> limit? Or something else that would cause opening a connection to fail?
>>
> This is no failure. see client_lifetime directive and its value. Your
> client connections are lasting that long. They are probably being
> re-used the entire time for keep-alive traffic or CONNECT tunnels until
> the timeout is reached which forces it to be closed.
>
> The current default of 1 day is quite old. As the manual notes it is
> supposed to be far longer than any browser needs to remain connected.
> However these days you might face persistent HTTPS (via long-lived
> CONNECT tunnels), long-polling connections, 24x7 mobile device
> connectivity, browsers that *never* shutdown, and proxies that support
> indefinite streams of keep-alive requests. Any one of which would give
> you much more long lived client connections. I extended my proxies
> setting to 1 week and spotted facebook connections lasting longer than
> even that some time back.
Right, I know those messages aren't a failure. I was just pointing out
that we were receiving a fair number of them. I can check how many fds
are in use next time this happens.

>> On 01/21/2014 05:53 PM, Will Roberts wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm having a problem with some of my squids where they'll crash with
>>> one of these two messages:
>>>
>>> FATAL: dying from an unhandled exception:
>>> AddOpenedHttpSocket(s->listenConn)
>>> FATAL: dying from an unhandled exception: HttpSockets[NHttpSockets] < 0
>>>
>>> I haven't seen anything on the list with that text, nor do I see any
>>> open issues in the bug tracker. What kind of additional information
>>> can I provide to help debug this?
> I think these are another bug highlighted by how you have workers with
> unique ports that the coordinator does not know about. It is a new bug
> definitely but have not the time to investigate properly.

Okay. I'll file a bug with that text and poke around at the code a bit;
see if there's anything that might be worth printing out.

--Wil