[squid-users] Setting SO_KEEPALIVE on outbound connections

From: <eam_at_frap.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 11:33:00 -0800

Hi all,

I have a squid cache behind a stateful network device which drops idle TCP
connections after 300 seconds. I need to ensure TCP level keepalives are
set both for traffic to squid (accept) as well as traffic from squid
(connect) in order to support long-lived connections with idle periods.

I've found the "http_port keepalive" option, which does set SO_KEEPALIVE
on the accept end of squid. But this directive doesn't set keepalives for
outbound traffic, which I need as well.

Would squid folks be receptive to a patch that adds a toplevel config
directive to set SO_KEEPALIVE on all connections, both inbound and
outbound? Or have I overlooked something and is this possible today? I'm
relatively unfamiliar with Squid and am just starting to paw through the
source to see what achieving this would take.

Thanks!