[squid-users] Re: Unneeded DNS lookups for cache_peer selection

From: babajaga <augustus_meyer_at_yahoo.de>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 02:28:11 -0800 (PST)

Guten Morgen ! :-)

>In worst
case I would have to run a cron job updating the host entry every minute
or such - sounds horrible. <

As far as I understand, you have two problems:
1) squids strategy to find "best parent" using DNS
2) dynamically changing parents IP

First one should be solvable by a customization of src.
Second could be "hacked" ins case you can convince the parent to run some
special script, emailing actual IP.
Only reasonable, if changes are not frequent, OR if some temp. violation of
load balacing is allowed for you.
As soon as parents IP changes, it mails new IP to your machine. And then
reconfigure squid using this new IP.

But how about an intermediate upstream proxy, permanent IP, the squid of
which then does standard DNS-resolution of real/final parents IP ?

MfG