Re: [squid-users] Squid for Windows

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 01:35:09 +1300

On 28/02/2014 12:57 a.m., ***some text missing*** wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to use squid proxy services on MS Windows Server 2008, Please
> let me know the latest version of squid and useful link how to
> install squid on windows. Require your suggestion regarding
> performance of squid on Windows vs Linux.

Latest version of Squid for Windows easily available is 2.7 packages
from http://squid.acmeconsulting.it/.

As for performance, all of the non-Windows systems run much faster than
the Windows 2.7 version and have a much lower socket capacity. Due to
technical issues - advanced socket APIs not being available or
implemented for Windows.

If you are after high performance and happy to change the server OS I
suggest going for the non-Windows system of your choice.

We (I) are working on restoring a Windows port for Squid-3 latest
version(s). But without sponsorship the going is glacially slow and the
last sponsor only got as far as having 3.3 running with a very specific
build profile and major features disabled (eg win32 service support).

If you are dedicated to Windows you could perhapse help sponsor further
development improving the newer versions Windows support. Please contact
be privately about that. But be aware up front that work has been very
slow/tricky in places and we cannot provide a reliable timeline for
working product.

Cheers
Amos