[squid-users] Releasing the new rpm of 3.4.3 for centos. i686 here we come..

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 21:15:35 +0200

I am happy to release the new RPM for CentOS 6.5 versions 32 bit and 64 bit.
Due to the basic understanding that there are plenty of systems
out-there that support only 32 bit and not 64 bit which are usefull in
many ways and places I am adding the 32 bit release at this point.

As usuall (and it is not that simple like it might seems) I am a adding
couple words about linux servers and squid.

I have been wondering for a very long time about the effect of
slowliness when working with raid1 or raid 0 with squid.
What is the big deal?
What is the issue?
It is pretty simple to just say “JBOD” are better then RAID 0.
There is a reason for that but it's not always the truth.
It depends on the load and on the purpose of the cache.
For example if the cache was meant to save bandwidth at all costs to
allow other operations and other system to run smoothly it's one story.
But to just save bandwidth to lower the nature of the line cost is
another issue.
I am not talking about a 40GB line or a 100GB line but rather a tiny DSL
lines or 1GBps line.

Why would “Just A bunch Of Disks” would be that good for squid?
To understand this we must first understand what each part of a PC or a
SERVER actually does in a very low level.
Every part or chip on the system adds latency.
There are which are acceptable and are cannot be avoidable but there are
these which are on the edge between consumption of resources to gaining
new function.
RAID for example is actually a small part inside mostly SERVERS which is
allowing the system to get Resistancy to the data storage.
The SERVER will sacrifice some of it's resources in order to allow that
data get the proper “care” and “handling”.
This specific function lower the speed of the moving and non moving
parts of the Computers for a very long time.
Once we remove this layer of RAID which is a actually Resistancy layer
we will get a faster hardware.
Sometimes it's not the best choice to remove this Resistancy out of the
picture while sacrificing some speed and electricity.
This is where Just A Bunch Of DISKs comes handy.
The linux and UNIX OS's tries to maximize out of each disk that is
connected to the system.
Squid based on couple of the more complicated algorithms that are
embedded inside the OS's in order to utilize the maximum of each disk.
While there is a risk of data loss while doing some operations on a
cache there are some disks which are much has much more resistancy then
others by default which will lead to longer life and less data loss.
Note that for example a cache disk should last for about 1 year of
massive IO operations.
In a case it works more you have just earned more from the product by
being much “Stronger” then it should be.

Couple things that can be read and understood based on this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resilience
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_resistance

A video about Voltage Corrent and Resistance which will bring you
couple clues about the mysteries of computation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Vq-xHqUo8
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/squid/Voltage_Current_and_Resistance.webm

* Any notes and comments are wanted and welcome!

The RPMS at:
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/rpm/centos/6/x86_64/

The package includes 3 RPMs one for the squid core and helpers, the
other is for debuging and the third is the init script.
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/rpm/centos/6/x86_64/squid-3.4.3-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/rpm/centos/6/x86_64/squid-debuginfo-3.4.3-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/rpm/centos/6/x86_64/squid-sysvinit-3.4.3-1.el6.x86_64.rpm

Also note that I have release a i686 package at:
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/rpm/centos/6/i686/

The package includes 3 RPMs one for the squid core and helpers, the
other is for debuging and the third is the init script.
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/rpm/centos/6/i686/squid-3.4.3-1.el6.i686.rpm
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/rpm/centos/6/i686/squid-debuginfo-3.4.3-1.el6.i686.rpm
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/rpm/centos/6/i686/squid-sysvinit-3.4.3-1.el6.i686.rpm

To Each and everyone of them there is an *asc* file which contains PGP and
MD5 SHA1 SHA2 SHA256 SHA384 SHA512 hashes.

I also released the SRPM which is very simple at:
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/rpm/centos/6/x86_64/SRPM/squid-3.3.11-1.el6.src.rpm

* There was a release of the ALPHA for testers at:
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/rpm/centos/6/x86_64/head/squid-3.5.0.001-1.el6.x86_64.rpm

Eliezer