Re: [squid-users] FileSystem mount options and other parameters

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 09:39:42 -0600

On 03/18/2014 02:29 AM, Omid Kosari wrote:

> AFAIK there is no complete guide for using FS types for squid.

There is probably no truly "complete" guide for any complex topic, but
Duane's "Squid: The Definitive Guide" book has two chapters on disk
caching, including a section on file system type selection.

> Historically i am using ReiserFS 3.6 on Ubuntu 12.10 64bit .
>
> Here is my /etc/fstab
>
> /dev/sda1 /cache1 reiserfs
> notail,noatime,nodiratime,data=writeback,barrier=none,async,commit=10 0 0
> /dev/sdb1 /cache2 reiserfs
> notail,noatime,nodiratime,data=writeback,barrier=none,async,commit=10 0 0
> /dev/sdc1 /cache3 reiserfs
> notail,noatime,nodiratime,data=writeback,barrier=none,async,commit=10 0 0
>

> and
>
> root_at_cache:~# cat /sys/block/sd*/queue/scheduler
> noop [deadline] cfq
>

> And some references
> https://reiser4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Mount
> http://doc.opensuse.org/products/draft/SLES/SLES-tuning_sd_draft/cha.tuning.io.html
>
> sda id SSD and sdb,sdc are SCSI 19k RPM and i think they should not be same
> .
>
> Note :For people who are not aware , i suggest investigating on these
> configs because they are very important for performance tuning of cache
> server .
>
> Anybody has suggestions ?

I cannot suggest ReiserFS tuning options, but if performance is
important for you, your Squid handles a lot of traffic, and you are
still using ufs-based cache_dirs, then you probably should plan to
migrate to SMP and Rock cache dirs (which means making sure SMP and Rock
work well for you and fixing what does not work). The other cache_dir
types are not designed for such environments IMO.

For Rock, I personally recommend the simplest file system you can tune
(e.g., ex2). The less file system does, the better are you chances of
forcing it to do it right. Some Rock performance tuning advice is
available at http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/RockStore

And, as Amos has already said, efforts towards supporting raw Rock
partitions/devices are welcomed:
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/AboutSquid#How_to_add_a_new_Squid_feature.2C_enhance.2C_of_fix_something.3F

Cheers,

Alex.