[squid-users] Re: Non Transparent Proxy

From: obombz <seyiakinboboye_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 11:55:36 -0700 (PDT)

I did take you first advice about the placement of my squid box within my
network and i have a few issues.

Thank you for your advice but i'd rather have a non transparent network for
security reasons as there are quite a few wireless free loaders here and i
would like to keep them out.

I was also thinking should i take off the mikrotik router and let the squid
handle both the traffic and the NATing? and as it is in non transparent mode
I believe it would be difficult for the free loaders to come in and start
browsing for free. I can still make a connection to the mikrotik for the few
hotspot users who are not regular.

Why i want to do this is because i noticed that at peak time the connection
really slowed down, but if i check for browsing within the squid machine i
se that the browsing is fast and rather crisp and when i look at the logs
running on the tail command there is a lot of activity but when i go back to
a client machine which i behind the mikrotik RB1100 the activity is very
sluggish for the amount of clients connected if at all there is any activity
that is why i was thinking of letting the squid box do the NATing and
everything and let it just be the the last hardware before the 24port switch
which distributes to the clients both via LAN and wirelessly.

This is what i have now:

internet connection to a 16port switch >> Gateway (ClearOS) >> Squid
(Opensuse12.3 squid V3.2.11) >> Mikrotik Router RB1100 >> 24port switch >>
Netequalizer >> Clients

and this is what i hope to achieve if it will make my network smoother, fast
and more secure running on non transparent proxy:

internet connection to a 16port switch >> Gateway (ClearOS) >> Squid
(Opensuse12.3 squid V3.2.11) >> 24port switch >> Netequalizer >> Clients

I would appreciate it if you could please really help me out here.

Thank you.