[squid-users] Caching not working for Youtube videos

From: aditya agarwal <adi_agrwl_at_yahoo.co.in>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 13:11:45 +0800 (SGT)

Hi, Last week we realized that our caching for Youtube videos is broken and not working any more. We are using 'storeurl_rewrite_program' header to rewrite URL for all youtube videos. Following is our configuration (Squid 2.7): acl store_rewrite_list url_regex youtube cache allow store_rewrite_list storeurl_access allow store_rewrite_list storeurl_access deny all storeurl_rewrite_program VideoCachingPolicy.pl storeurl_rewrite_children 1 storeurl_rewrite_concurrency 100 We use the following method in VideoCachingPolicy.pl: 1. All youtube requests which have stream_204 and generate_204 in the URL are stored in a log file. 2. In the perl file, for each request we check if it has videoplayback + google/youtube in the URL 3. If Yes, then we read(backwards) the log file generated in step 1.     a. We check if any of the stream_204/generate_204 requests have a matching CPN field. If yes then we extract the docid from these requests and generate an internal URL.     b. Else we append the ID which came with the current request. Note: As this ID is dynamically generated for every request stream so it doesn't result in cache HIT. This method was working fine for some time, but now it seems to be broken. On investigating I found two issues: 1. The stream_204/generate_204 requests do not always come before videoplayback requests. 2. Even if stream_204 requests come before videoplayback they are not logged immediately. When I try to read the file, it doesnt have these lines initially but it has them later on. Is anyone else facing these issues? Is there any long term solution for caching Youtube videos? Thanks, Aditya