Re: [squid-users] Cache Chrome updates

From: Nick Hill <nick_at_nickhill.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 14:38:19 +0100

URLs with query strings have traditionally returned dynamic content.
Consequently, http caches by default tend not to cache content when
the URL has a query string.

In recent years, notably Microsoft and indeed many others have adopted
a habit of putting query strings on static content.

This could be somewhat inconvenient on days where Microsoft push out a
new 4Gb update for windows 8, and you have many such devices connected
to your nicely cached network. Each device will download exactly the
same content, but with it's own query string.

The nett result is generation of a huge amount of network traffic.
Often for surprisingly minor updates.

I am currently testing a new configuration for squid which identifies
the SHA1 hash of the windows update in the URL, then returns the bit
perfect cached content, irrespective of a wide set of URL changes. I
have it in production in a busy computer repair centre. I am
monitoring the results. So far, very promising.