Re: [squid-users] anyone configured Squid to allow persistent websocket traffic?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 06:48:39 +1200

On 30/04/2014 6:10 a.m., Bob DeRemer wrote:
> Does Squid support persistent TCP connections, particularly
> websockets? We have software applications that establish persistent
> websocket connections (i.e. minutes, hours, etc.), vs browsers that
> may use websockets, but won't be connected long.
>
> I haven't been able to find too much information regarding
> configuring Squid to allow websocket traffic, so if anyone can
> confirm positive or negative, that would be great.

There is not much to configure. Squid does not support the Upgrade
header yet so WebSockets should be using CONNECT requests.

CONNECT are governed by two timeouts:
 http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/read_timeout/
 http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/client_lifetime/

and the destination server port number is usually restricted to the ACL
set called SSL_ports, which usually only contains port 443.

Amos