[squid-users] Fwd: cannot bind to any ip address on server only to all ip's

From: Chris <chrcoluk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 18:06:19 +0100

Ok this problem started recently but I don't know what triggered it, I
defenitly recently upgraded perl from 5.12 to 5.16 and I may have
updated squid as well.

OS is FreeBSD 9.2

So was previously running squid 2.7 happily, suddenly I start seeing
could not create a dns socket errors and it refuses to start. These
unable to bind errors are caused by 'udp_outgoing_address' as I want
my outgoing dns requests to use a specific ip. All other software on
the server has no issue binding to ips only squid is having issues.

If I comment out the line the error gets replaced by Unable to open HTTP Socket.

To stop this error I have to change the 'http_port' line to only have
the port and not specific ip, this isn't such a big deal as I can
restrict to one ip via firewall. However both issues are probably
related.

I can confirm most defenitly nothing else is using the port/ip combo
for the http_port, I can indeed connect on the specific ip and port
when its a * bind. But squid is refusing to bind to the specific ip
when set in the config file.

So I then updated to squid 3.2, same problem.
Tried 3.3 same problem.
Cant try 3.4 as is no FreeBSD version of it in ports.

Found a bug report related to the dns error which sods law I cannot
find now. The developer stated would be fixed but then that release
was never ever released. When I checked the proposed fix, it doesn't
exist in the latest 3.3 version. But when I tried to manually apply
the fix it didn't resolve the problem anyway.

Regards

Chris