[squid-users] Squid Documentation

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar_at_deckle.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 14:38:08 +0100

Hi All

This is my first post to the Squid Users list for an incredibly long time - "Hi all”) :)

New Squid users: did you find the documentation at http://www.deckle.co.uk/squid-users-guide/ useful in your process of learning Squid?

I wrote the Squid documentation at http://www.deckle.co.uk/squid-users-guide/ in 1999 with the aim of getting it published as a book. I then proceeded to get incredibly involved in trying to build and run a company, and I never completed it. It’s had very little love since, despite attempts to put it on a Wiki (which only succeeded in getting me banned from Adsense due to dodgy comments in the “Russian translation”) and on GitHub (which has had no commits other than by me).

My impression is that the guide is woefully out of date, and should probably be binned and visitors redirected somewhere more useful. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about this. Is the content useful? Is anyone else interested in trying to assist with bringing it up to date?

I thought I’d check with a larger Squid audience here on squid-users first, and then raise it to the Squid dev mailing list based on the response here.

The docs still get quite a few hits, considering their age and lack of maintenance. About 2000 unique IPs visited it last week (removing any reference to ‘bot’ in the user agent - though that doesn’t guarantee anything).

Thanks!

Oskar Pearson