[squid-users] Squid in a WiFi Captive portal scenario

From: JMangia <jmangia_at_me.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 12:02:06 -0700 (PDT)

I’ve succesfully configured squid with a splash landing page using using
external_acl_type but I would like to support classic WiFi popup login page
available in modern mobile OS.

Apple, Google, Microsoft implement a sort of automatic Web Popup page that
appear just connecting to a WiFi network that implement a “captive portal”
solution. This popup appear even if the internet request is not coming from
the browser but also from any other App.

On iOS / Mac Os for example once activated the WiFi the OS make an HTTP
request for http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html with special user
agent CaptiveNetworkSupport/1.0 and to get the Splash Landing Page the
captive solution must just not return Success.

Microsoft implement something similar with WISPr support and Android try to
contact http://clients3.google.com/generate_204 or
http://www.google.com/blank.html.

My squid configuration deny any destination and redirect to my landing
splash page but the user need to open the browser to get this splash page.
I mean if the user connect to wifi network and open any other App that use
the connection no popup login page appear.

Is there anyone else working in this scenario using Squid ?

Thanks,
-Jacopo