Re: [squid-users] configuring Eliezer RPMs for CentOS 6 for SMP

From: csn233 <csn233_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 21:29:10 +0800

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 8:08 PM, <fernando_at_lozano.eti.br> wrote:
> I have not tested it with squid development releases (3.5) only with your
> 3.4.x rpms. But please write me if you need any help with SELinux in the
> future. I'm not an expert, but as I do have to use it in enforcing mode,
> I'll probably get the same issues.

Not answering this thread, but would like to ask some related points
for anyone who may be listening in:

1. RPMs.

For practically everything else, I use RPMs for installation. For
Squid, I've moved away from this approach. Standard RPMs still provide
only 3.1.10. Non-standard RPMs, you have no idea where the next one is
coming from, or whether it suits your needs. If you compile-your-own,
you get the version you want, anytime you want. Plus it is very useful
to add the odd "debugs" here and there to narrow down any issues, if
nothing more. And have the flexibility of having different versions in
different /usr/local directories to upgrade/downgrade anytime you want
(or more specifically if you need to).

2. SELinux

With Squid, normally you don't let end-users on the same server. In
you don't have end-users on the same server, from a technical point of
view, SELinux doesn't add value. If you have end-users on the same
box, you probably have other issues to deal with first.