Re: [squid-users] File Descriptor Issue

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 05:22:01 +0300

On 06/26/2014 02:53 AM, Matthew Ceroni wrote:
> Also, when squid first starts up it lists the Maximum number of file
> descriptors as 65536, but when I get the warning message that my Cache
> is low on FD that value changes to 16384. Why is that?
>
> Thanks
If you will share your squid.conf workers relevant parts it might
explain couple of these results...
How many workers are you using?

If you are willing to just solve the issue allow something like
quadratic number of FD per worker which means 4k * 4 * workers.
It will easily solve many issues when will be set as the soft and hard
limit in the sysVinit script.

If you are willing to debug it the right place to start will be to file
a bug report in the bugzilla(to my opinion) and a thread in squid-dev
mailing list.
It is clear that there is something odd but I am not 100% if it can be
explained yet or not.

Eliezer