Re: [squid-users] What is a reasonable size for squid.conf?

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 22:12:30 +0300

On 06/27/2014 10:51 PM, Owen Crow wrote:
> My squid.conf is currently clocking in 60k lines (not including
> comments or blank lines). Combined with the conf files in my conf.d
> directory, I have a total of 89k lines in configuration.

Hey,

Consider that I am Writing from my own mind, knowledge and experience.

This is no way close to the original conf file of squid...(the last time
I have seen it)
You have a very special setup.
There is no documentation about it and I assume that the admin assumes
couple levels of sanity of the file structure VS complexity of the software.

I have not seen Samba settings file that will consume 30k of settings
line just because on many environments it's not really sane to run such
a server.
I cannot compare squid to other services but it's not the first time
that this kind of question is being asked.

I am not sure what you are expecting, are you asking for less time or
just to know more about the subject?

I am also not sure that squid.conf is the place to configure couple
special setups.
There are cases which squid is not the right tool for the the task.

So consider:
- You are expecting too much from squid(which is overwhelming, in the
good way..)
- You are using a special setup which is more complex then the basic.
- You are maybe wrongly comparing "grep" or similar tools which are not
parsing a complex conf file.

In any of the above cases 20 seconds can be considered a reasonable time
to load a complex proxy setup.
There are software systems which I have seen that takes more then 20
seconds to just show a tiny sign of life due to their complexity.

 From my point of view when you go above the basic squid conf file you
should ask your self if you expect these static rules to stay for a long
time and if not then you should consider using another way to implement
the idea.

If you can share the reason which the conf file is so big some might
give you an idea about it.

Eliezer