Re: [squid-users] Fwd: Squidblacklist.org - A better blacklist for Squid-ACL. Blacklisting Evolved.

From: Antony Stone <Antony.Stone_at_squid.open.source.it>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 21:11:41 +0200

On Monday 30 June 2014 at 16:12:58, James Lay wrote:

> Please don't peddle your (subscription fee based no less...yugh)
> garbage

Just out of interest, I took a look at what was being offered by this guy
(http://www.squidblacklist.org) and I noticed two things:

1. It's a subscription-based service

2. It's licensed under "Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License"
with a direct link to http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/deed.en_US

That link states "You are free to:

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material

for any purpose, even commercially."

So, I contacted the original poster of the promotional email (not to this
list, as far as I can tell, although the reply was copied here), asking "Does
this mean that if I subscribe to your list, I can sell the content on to my
customers?" and got the following interesting reply:

> You read and interpret correctly.
>
> What our subscribers do with the lists we provide is none of our concern.
>

> --
> Signed,
>
> Benjamin E. Nichols
> http://www.squidblacklist.org

So, if anyone thinks there's even the slightest value in using these lists, we
distributed for free (or 1¢ per copy, or whatever someone thinks is
reasonable).

So, it may be subscription-only, but we could easily make it one subscription
per world, if we want to.

Antony.

--
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
                                                     Please reply to the list;